Monday, August 12, 2013

Words from Marissa Alexander


Shortly after the acquittal of George Zimmerman I was acquainted with the story of Marissa Alexander. After writing my piece "Getting #JusticeForTrayvon" I looked into the case of Ms. Alexander. While some stories have gone out to paint her in a bad light she is the mother of three children and in jail to complete a 20 year sentence. In the official disposition of the hearing the estranged husband she defended herself from was quoted saying: "I probably would have put my hand on her. Probably hit her. I got five baby mommas and I put my hands on every last one of them, except for one. I physically abused them. Emotionally. You know.” The same prosecutor, Angela Corey, who sent her to jail for a minimum of 20 years (killing/injuring no one) was surprisingly unsuccessful in prosecuting Zimmerman. After hearing this sad story and inspired by a Daily Kos article I reached out to her in a letter and this is what she wrote back:
Hello Elijah!

Thank you for taking the time to write me and express your sympathy and your support. My weakness is made perfect in God strength! I love Him and I trust Him with my life. I truly believe that all things do work good for those who love Him and are called according to His purpose. This is my journey and I know that God is sovereign and in control, He has predestined me, for time & reason such as this! Elijah again that you very much for your kindness and prayers.

Sincerely,
Marissa
A petition for her release can be signed here and the address to reach her is below if you want to contact her send a stamped letter so that she won't have to pay to send one back. 

Marissa Alexander #J46944
Lowell Annex
11120 N.W. Gainesville Rd
Ocala, FL 34482
Posted by: E. Rey

No comments:

Post a Comment